Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My Makeup Magnet Boards, Part 1

A while back (during my early Pinterest stage) I came across a how-to for a makeup magnet board. I never thought I'd have enough makeup to fill one up, although I thought it was such a neat idea. As it turns out, I went makeup-coupon-crazy about 3 weeks ago and now don't know where to put all of it. (I love free stuff! And I don't see myself cutting back on the coupon crazy thing just yet). 
On a whim, I stopped by Dollar Tree and looked for the cookie pans, but was disappointed to see they were out of those. They did, however, have a huge stack of 12-inch pizza pans... and I took 3. As I was headed to the register I passed by a tiny display of vinyl decals. They were mostly for nurseries and such, but I caught a glimpse of one I liked and snatched it up on my way to pay for my items. 
It wasn't until I got in my car that the "creative" side took over. The same side which took control of my driving and made me go to Hobby Lobby instead of my apartment. I was pleasantly surprised to see that all scrapbooking paper was 50% off this week, so naturally the ultimate hardest part of this project was settling on 3 pieces of paper. I might or might not have purchased more than that. I also purchased a roll of magnetic tape and a glue gun (still can't believe I didn't own one of those) and giddily headed home to make pretty things while watching The Breakfast Club on Netflix. 

 

 Materials: 
- Three 12-inch pieces of scrapbook paper or cardstock
- Three 12-inch pizza pans (Dollar Tree) 
- Vinyl decal (Dollar Tree) 
- Magnetic Tape (or small magnets) 
- Modge Podge (and foam brush) 
- Pretty acrylic paint
- Glue gun 
- Newspaper
- Scissors
- Pen found under the couch
1. Place the newspaper over the pizza pan, trace out an exact outline of the center circle, and cut it out.
2. Use the newspaper circle and trace it over the back of the 3 pieces of scrapbook paper. Cut these out and set aside for later use.
3. Use acrylic paint to paint over the pizza pans, focusing on the outer edges since the middle part will be covered by scrapbook paper. I did this while sitting under a ceiling fan,
so mine dried within a minute.
4. Spread a good amount of modge podge over the dried paint. It is up to you if you'd like to cover the outer edges of the pan... I chose not to.
5. Glue the paper cutouts onto the pans using the modge podge. I applied modge podge over one of the papers, but decided I liked them without. Oops. Now I know for next time.
6. Get creative with the vinyl decals. They stick and unstick very easily on the paper, so you can change them up without a problem. Halfway through this I realized that these can also be cute wall decor for a teen's room.
7. Now, time for the makeup. Cut off small squares of magnetic tape and glue them to the back of your makeup.





This part is pretty common sense / learn as you go. I have tons of high-end nail polish (ahemm, free with coupons) and they were very unwilling to stay up because they were so heavy. I will be visiting Hobby Lobby for larger, better-quality magnets to use on the nail polish and any other larger pieces. I also learned that magnetic tape did not do well on rounded pieces such as mascara and eyeliner, so I will be using the glue gun on these. Here's a picture of one completed board with eye shadow.
And there you have it! My next steps will include getting my nail polish up there and getting everything on a wall. I'll add another post whenever that happens. Hope you liked it so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-48972972-1