Monday, March 17, 2014

Living with In-Laws

Due to some rather unfortunate circumstances which were out of our control, Philip and I were left without an apartment for a month and a half. Thanks to the wonderfully giving nature of his parents, we were able to live at their house during this time (about 7 weeks). It was a lot tougher for me than it was for him, and although I am eternally grateful to his parents for letting us stay there, I can't say I was always 100% comfortable not having my own house. Nevertheless, I did learn some insightful things from this experience:
  1. Doing laundry is much much simpler when you only have 1/5 of all your clothes available to wear. 
  2. No flat-ironing, curling, or chemicals for a 7 weeks does wonders for my hair. 
  3. Having more than one dog in a house is nuts. Although I'd love to one day get Venom a lady Labrador, it's definitely never going to happen until we have a house with a large enough back yard for them to terrorize. 
  4. You can never have enough dog kibble and bathroom tissue... Venom consumes copious amounts of both, to our wallet's extreme annoyance. 
  5. Since Phil and I now longer have the freedom to hang out in separate bedrooms, we either get along or life sucks. Having just one room to be together has done wonders to our problem-solving and discussions. 
  6. I learned how to share a bathroom. Sort of. Although I never stopped getting confused with all the shampoo and conditioner bottles, it really wasn't that bad. I suppose normal people from large families think nothing of bathroom sharing, but I've always had my own, so it was new to me. 
  7. Even if I had my entire array of church clothes, I'd probably still stick to the same 2 skirts. I didn't even notice the heavy depletion of my wardrobe on Sundays. 
  8. Having 2 pairs of shoes will not kill me. By the end of our stay I didn't even remember what the other 28 pairs looked like. 
  9. Being 24 years old, holding a Bachelor of Science, and a full-time almost professional job does NOT make me any less scared of dark hallways and open closets at night. 
  10. TELEVISION SUCKS! I have always seen TV as something you do only when there's nothing else to do, but in mom and dad Wyeth's household, a TV is on at any time when people are awake. I can see why it's so entertaining to some people, but not to me. And it was a challenge finding a quiet place to read a book. I think the lack of quiet accounted for about 60% of the challenge of living in a house besides my own. 
I'd like to again mention how utterly grateful I am to his parents for giving us a place to live during our time of need. My largest struggle was to swallow my pride and allow someone to help us out, but all that means is that I have issues with humility, which I am trying to improve. I'm looking forward to our new apartment and will keep my fingers crossed that we only have to move ONE more time (into a house) for the next several years. Good luck to us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-48972972-1