Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Dear Momma Bears, I Totally Get It Now

I used to think that mother bears were ridiculous in not leaving the den (not even to eat!) during the 2 to 3 months right after their cubs were born, but now that baby Emmett is about to be 3 weeks old, I totally get it. Truth be told, if it weren't for his doctor appointments and my hubby's need to eat, I would still be momma-bear-ing it on the living room couch... too afraid to take my eyes off the precious, heavily asleep baby in his Rock N Play sitting a full 6 inches away from me.
Up until 3 days ago, my entire days and nights were spent on that couch waiting for Emmett to go to sleep, to wake up, to get hungry, or to need a diaper change. I think I only brushed my teeth about five times and showered twice... maybe. Let me put it out there, I am terrified at being a mom because I have NO IDEA what I'm doing, so naturally I freak out every time my son makes a sound, and I freak out even more when I need to leave his side to wolf down some food or to use the bathroom.
It's kind of taken me this long to figure out that 1) it's ok if Emmett cries for 15 seconds 2) if something is wrong, he'll let me know, and most importantly 3) babies are noisy sleepers. Camping out on the couch next to the Rock N Play for about 10 days straight made me a zombie from lack of sleep. I would jump up and prop myself on my elbow at the smallest sound of life coming from Emmett, and then just sit there staring at him for 30 minutes to make sure he was okay. Life got really hard without sleep, but 4 days ago in my delirious state I had a sudden, crazy, out-of-this-world idea: What if we start sleep training? What if Emmett sleeps in his crib and I sleep in my bed? Could that be possible???
It turns out that I majorly lucked out, because Emmett is an angel when it comes to sleep. I just might be the envy of all moms out there. Get this: my 3 week old son can sleep for a full 6 hours. Unfortunately, Emmett seems to be on dad's schedule, because at the moment he does his heavy 6-hour-stretch sleep during the day and his light feed-me-every-hour sleep at night. For the past 3 days we have been working on reversing the two... Babies don't produce melatonin until about 6 months, so he really has no idea when day or night is, so it's not his fault.
Let me tell you, moving him to his crib has been the most inspired mom thing I have done so far, because now I only wake up when he needs me to wake up (aka when he cries) instead of waking up after every moan, whimper, grunt, and sneeze. I think we are both better off: last night I only got up to feed him twice, and he is learning how to self-soothe from a young age.
This nightly separation has opened my eyes and pulled me from my momma-bear stupor. I'm finally okay with leaving his side for "extended" periods of time during the day... I actually did 2 loads of laundry yesterday, ya'll. What a big deal. Maybe tomorrow I'll get crazy and actually cook dinner. With like, real food and stuff. Lets see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-48972972-1