Thursday, February 12, 2015

Moving Furniture: A Need For Newness


     For the past few days, P and I have woken up to a rather horrible doggy smell all over our living room. I didn't know what was causing it until I saw just how often I was emptying out my vacuum, and then realized Venom must be shedding. Ewww. Dog hair everywhere. Literally everywhere
     As soon as I got home yesterday I began a vicious attack on every surface in our living room, set our air purifier to working overtime, and lit some scented candles. As often is the case, as soon as I started cleaning, I couldn't stop. I vacuumed, and vacuumed, and vacuumed. Then I single-handedly moved our extra-heavy sofas and my book-packed shelves and vacuumed underneath those. I ripped the covers off all of our sofa cushions & pillows and threw them into the washer, and then vacuumed some more until my faithful little Dyson could go no further. By the time P arrived home from work, everything we owned was out of place... but it was clean.  
     Our extra-heavy sofa ended up against a different wall, so rather than push it back to it's original location, I voiced the idea of leaving it be and rearranging everything else. P seemed creative and willing to help, so after much shoving, pulling, doorway maneuvering, and Hulk-like roars, we got everything in place. And it feels wonderful. I know it's the same old stuff we've always had, but something about new layout and the clean state of everything just invigorates me.      I was almost sad that I had to leave the living room and go cook dinner while P wrestled the sofa covers back on, and that we only had 1 hour of sitting in our "new" living room before it was time to go play some volleyball with our friends. Isn't it great what a small change of scenery can do? Here are my thoughts on why it's a good idea to switch things up a bit now and then:
  • Ergonomic opportunities. I've been living in a semi-annoyed state for an entire year because our previous setup didn't have any surfaces for us to place the TV and Xbox remotes, so they were always lost between the couch, or tossed on the floor. I couldn't get P to ever pick them up, so now our set-up is such that there is always a table close by, no matter where you sit. Yay for more neatness.
  • Breaking the habit. Oilfied jobs are going downhill these days. P has been home A LOT in the past month or so, and I had grown tired of coming home to him laying in the exact same position on the same couch every day. Thankfully, he now has a job... and a couple of other options of where to sit should he ever have that kind of free time again. 
  • The "New" Mentality, without the price. You know how when you buy a new car you try extra hard to keep it clean and fresh and don't-you-DARE-eat-a-hot-dog-in-here? Same principle. I'm excited to just sit and enjoy my living room because it feels new, but it's really just my same old stuff. I want to keep it looking neat, keep the cushions off the floor, and rearrange the pictures on my walls. Above all, I'm downright happy that I created such an atmosphere so easily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-48972972-1