Monday, April 28, 2014

Kit Kats Cake

Today is my hubby's birthday and since Mondays are lame and not the greatest for celebrating, we decided to do fun stuff the whole weekend instead. On Sunday we had friends and family over for birthday cake and I finally got to try my hand at the famous Kit Kat Cake which Tabby introduced me to a couple of years ago.
Ingredients: 
1 box of vanilla cake mix
1 box of chocolate cake mix
Chocolate frosting
M&M's
9 Kit Kats (Yes, you read correctly. NINE.)
I decided to make a marbled cake because it turns out there IS such a thing as too much chocolate, but a plain vanilla cake wouldn't go well with the chocolate frosting (personal opinion). Here's how I did it:

1. Prepare bot mixes following the directions on the box. 
2. Using two 9-inch cake pans, scoop alternating layers of chocolate and vanilla mixes; do not swirl. All you need to do is drop about half a cup of batter at a time right in the center, and gravity will take care of the rest. The circles DO NOT have to be perfect, as you can see. 
3. Bake following the instructions on the box. When they are done, chill in the freezer for an hour or two, stacked if possible. 
4. After the cakes have been chilled, it's time to frost it. Pay close attention to the sides, as this icing will be your "glue" for the Kit Kats. 
5. Break off all your Kit Kats before starting. I used the first knife handy, which happened to be a cheese knife. It actually did a good job on chocolate. 
6. Start gluing your Kit Kats all around the cake. I wanted to experiment with a Kit Kat/ M&M mixture on the sides, but burned my fingers pretty badly earlier in the day and decided to stick with the simpler plan. 
7. Add the M&M's! Most people sprinkle them all over the top, but I decided to be difficult/artsy and make a rainbow pattern instead. Since I had pre-sorted the M&M's a day before, this didn't take longer than 10 minutes or so. 
There was sooo much chocolaty stuff going on with this cake, and by the end only this piece remained. Here's to show you how the marbling comes out in the middle. 

This was a pretty fun cake to make, but quite a bit more expensive than your average one. I spent about $25 total because of all the extra chocolate, but everyone loved it and the sugar high was totally worth it. So what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-48972972-1