Wednesday, January 5, 2022

2022 Resolutions, Plans, and Let's See Where Life Takes Us

I was deleting clutter from my phone's pictures during the odd limbo of After-Christmas and Before-New Year's week, and started off by deleting screenshots since many of those had to do with my old job. The oldest screenshot I have on my phone is from February 6, 2015. It is a random paragraph from a random list on a random website I no longer visit (StumbleUpon), and the random paragraph says the following: 

Move towards what you want rather than away from what you don't: Make sure that your dominant actions are occurring because you want something to happen, rather than because you are afraid of what might happen. For example, call your Mom when you want to talk to her, not when you are afraid she will get mad at you for not calling. Moving because of fear creates more fearful experiences. Moving because of your dreams makes more dreams happen. Move mindfully. 

 This has been on my mind ever since that day. I never remember the full quote verbatim, but I remember the general idea to act because I want a positive outcome, not a negative one. I think it has given my days a little more spark than before, and that tense day-to-day, continuous buzzing in my head has definitely toned down. Of course, that could also have to do with the fact that I gave myself about 2 weeks off from work, and even though my household was plagued with some horrid, miscellaneous gastrointestinal virus for the last week of 2021, it was so refreshing to just be Mom and nothing else. 

As I buckle down to face 2022 and the intimidating dreams (ahem, plans.) I have for this year, I want the Move Mindfully adage to be my number 1 resolution. It helps even on the small stuff. Especially on the small stuff. Daily example: In about 15 minutes I will go wash my dishes because I like having a clean kitchen to work with and I deserve it. I will not go wash my dishes because they've been sitting there for 2 days and I'm disgusting. Mindfulness matters. 

I feel like life has me in a little bit of a limbo right now, and not sure where my plans are headed. This is the first year since I became a teenager that I don't remember having a set list of resolutions, goals, or even wishes to achieve, so I took a few minutes to think of how I'd like my year to go, strictly based on previous years. 

  1. Move Mindfully
  2. Read 42 new books
  3. Pay off our new windows, $7,300 by November
  4. Save between $10,000 and $16,000 depending on both of our jobs throughout the year
  5. Declutter 1 room of my house each month 
  6. Send at least 25 items to Amazon FBA every week
  7. Drink 1 bottle of water with 1 meal each day
  8. Blog at least once every quarter

Thursday, December 16, 2021

Quick "How much can I type before my children wake up" Excercise

 Bro how do you even spell exercise? I used to be great at spelling until I started typing everything into a text instead of a Word file. 

Anyway, welcome lost and displaced reader, I don't know why you ended up on this blog, but it is in dire need of repairs. Let me begin by introducing myself with random bullet points because everyone loves lists: 

  • Who, what, when, where, why-type of statements:
    • I'm an almost-32 year old mom of 2
      • #boymom
      • #whereisthatsmellcomingfrom
    • Other than motherhood, I also dilly dally on Amazon FBA and work in the solar industry
      • #bossbabe? sometimes.
      • #workfromhomehotmess
      • #pleasebuysolarfromme
    • Corpus Christi Texas! Love the endless supply of fast food, hate the humidity
      • #alsopeoplehereareprettycool
      • #letsgohooks
      • #pleaseuseturnsignals
    • Started this blog in the good ole days when I had no children and ample amount of free time
      • #andthenlifegotbusy
      • #andigotlesscreative
      • #butimisstypingforfun
    • Why did I decide to remove the cobwebs from this url and poke at my keyboard? My kids are asleep, I took a random mid-day shower out of boredom, and with no child fights outside my door to listen to, my brain had some free time to just wander, and arrived at this destination. 
      • Not a useless hashtag, but now I'm finally realizing why I haven't blogged in so long! 
      • I used to blog because I loved the feeling of typing on super thin laptop keys, and when I switched to a desktop, it stopped being physically satisfying to click at keys super fast. 
      • Too bad, I'm committed now, I must finish. 
  • Random things I love, collect, or hoard: 

    • Laundry detergent
    • Harry Potter Funko Pops
    • Soups and sandwiches
    • Scented candles
      • but no vanilla-y scents, that's gross
    • Comfy sandals
    • Really dark sunglasses 
    • Comfy joggers 
      • with pockets!
    • Jigsaw puzzles
    • Monopoly games
    • Notebooks, planners, and pretty pens
    • Cherry sodas
    • Books, ebooks, audiobooks, bookshelves, book quotes, book decor, & anything book related
  • Random things I'd love to learn more about:
    • HowToFileTaxes
    • Phlebotomy
    • cleaning hacks
    • Kid-friendly dinner recipes
    • Genetics
    • When does a theory stop being a theory and become a law? 
  • Random things I don't care for, don't know how to do, or intimidate me:
    • celery
    • interior decorating
    • manual driving
    • plants of any kind
    • mint chocolate
    • too much socializing
    • shoes with heels
    • earrings
Oh crap, kids woke up, I must leave again, peace! 

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

A Catch-All Post for Catching Up

 I was recently reminded of the existence of this blog and how it's in dire need of an update, so I came to pay it a visit. Did I really begin this blog in 2013? Has it really been seven years? How did I have this much free time! How did I so easily share my thoughts on a random blog with little to no visitors? Also, WHY? 

Life sure has changed lately. Although most of my days drag on, time in general moves quickly; every parent knows this... "the days are slow but the years are fast". I will make an attempt to breathe some life back into A Lot About Living, here we go: 

In no particular order, here are random blurbs about... the past two-ish years?

 And this is me right now:

  • I'm a mom times two! I scroll thru pictures on my phone more often than is normal, and whenever I see photos of Emmett without Greyson they just look so unnatural! 
  • Shortly after Greyson's birth we lost our beloved Venom. I still carry deep guilt about his death and will carry it with me until the day I die. We talk about him often and have his picture on our fridge. RIP sweet boy.
  • We added a white German Shepherd girl to our pack after Venom's passing: Alaska. For a while there I went a little insane caring for a newborn, a kitten, a puppy, and a preschooler who refused to potty train. Life involved cleaning A LOT of poop in those days. 
  • We bought a house while I was prego: the news of our house purchase and a new baby all came on the same day to our loved ones. It was not planned too far in advance, and we scrambled together down-payment money in about 4 months. Upon move in, our savings were depleted to just a few hundred dollars. It was a panicky time, but worth it. 
  • Philip had a steady, well-paying, local job for 2.5 years: the longest in his oil field career. All good things come to an end, however, and he has been unemployed for almost 3 weeks now. (Here is us waiting until we'd dropped off the kids at Grandma's before busting out the cookies we didn't feel like sharing 😂)
  • Cars. Trucks. SUVs. All Wyeth-related vehicles seem to have terrible luck, and I don't think it's preventable. 
    • 3 weeks before Grey's birth my RAV4 (Shae) was stolen out of our driveway, along with some personal belongings from our foyer. I was limping around to doctor appointments on a borrowed vehicle for about three months before gritting my teeth and purchasing a VW sedan.  
    • Peter the Passat was a great vehicle! I chose cheap and used instead of new and leased, and I was pleasantly surprised. VW cars (especially turbo models) will likely be in my wish-list. During one unfortunate out of town mini-vacation (and right after purchasing new tires! ugh!) a complete moron of a driver backed up HARD into our parked car at a hotel parking lot and totaled it. 
    • About 4 months prior to the Peter disaster, Philip's truck (Claire) had some major mechanical breakdowns. We tried trading it in for a new one but every dealership offered insultingly low amounts, so instead we shared Peter until we had enough saved up for repairs, about $4,000! On this side of the struggle, I'm glad we sacrificed and made it work instead of incurring more debt. The Dave Ramsey way, I guess. 
    • We financed Holly the Highlander as a replacement for Peter the Passat. Now I feel extra mom-ish everywhere I go; just one step down from a minivan. It's super comfortable and spacey: plenty of room for a GSD, two kids, two adults, and any other nonsense we are transporting. Please, please, please, universe: Send us good car vibes so that nothing unnatural happens to Holly for the next 60 months or so. 
    • Emmett started Head Start! I was a nervous, trembling, stuttering wreck on the first day. The school was across town and after getting in my car I had the irrational idea that I'd just wait on the sidewalk for him (newborn baby in tow) until the school day finished. Then Grey started crying (he hates car seats) so I had to grit my teeth and wipe tears from my eyes as I drove home. 
      • I had to pull him kicking and screaming (take all of that literally) into the classroom every day for three weeks, (stubborn child) until he got used to it. 
      • Grandma taught right across the hall from him and eased my mind a ton, such a blessing! It helped him transition and get used to the new routine as well. 
      • Head Start took him from two-word mumbles to five-word sentences in a shocking amount of time! Sadly COVID got in the way after Spring Break, so we've been at home ever since. (remote learning is trash. the teachers are absolute wonderful angels from heaven, but 4 year olds don't learn from screens) 

    • We have so far survived 2020 unscathed. Everyone is happy, healthy, and no longer on the verge of locked-up insanity. In the early days of the pandemic we decided that even if we had to social distance, we'd allow visitations to and from 1 other household (my in-laws) because it's just necessary. 
    • Philip still likes hunting: he spends a lot of money on guns. 
    • I still like couponing: I spend a little money on a hoard of laundry detergent products. (If you don't understand that obsession, that's okay because neither do I)
      • To be fair, I also spend a considerable amount of money on books, kindle books, Audible, and Funko Pops. It evens out.
    • We now have two nephews! Gohan is just 1 month and 1 day younger than Greyson, I hope that they grow to be close friends all their lives. Gohan's younger brother Anakin just turned 1 month, he is itty bitty scary small, but that's just because my babies were huge at birth. The jokes about needing a girl in the family are getting old: I love being a boy mom and I'm ok if it stays that way. 

    And lastly: life with boys. 

    Life with boys is chaotic. It's one loud, messy, sticky, fast moving tornado. My home is in constant state of disarray: books, toys, Hot Wheels, Dinotrux, sippy cups, crackers, crumbs, diapers, dog hair, lone socks, LEGO, markers, magnets, boxes, blankets, shoes... everywhere, all the time, in every nook and cranny. These kids are like little machines with megaphones and charged up batteries. They are in constant motion, sometimes even in sleep. Time doesn't stand still for kids; quite the opposite. They race against it, always learning, always exploring, always moving forward. 
    It's surprising, really. Even on days where I'm and my most un-mom-est, when the TV is on for hours and I feed cereal and lunchables... they learn. They find something new that can be built with empty boxes, or learn how to push stools to climb on something higher and more dangerous. They find new places to hide, new words to surprise me with, new ways to make us happy. 
    I love my boys. Emmett with his big-brother, always-helpful attitude that just wants to have fun... Greyson the dauntless baby-turned-toddler giving it all to keep up. I love to see them interact, I love how caring comes naturally to Emmett, I love how fearless Greyson is growing up to be. I love that I can still find matching clothes for them. I love how  they climb on mom and dad whenever we sit still. I love hearing the pitter-patter of running feet on the floor above. 

    This morning I woke up and gave myself an hour to read my current book before getting out of bed (I've just started the Divergent series). I didn't know I'd end up blogging today, but I found a quote in the book and I highlighted it. 

    "If my entire life is like this, loud laughter and bold action and the kind of exhaustion you feel after a hard but satisfying day, I will be content." 

    I've decided it's the perfect fit for my life. It's not always exhausting, it's not always loud, it isn't always even fun... but it's a lot of living and a little love in the little world that is our home, and I will forever be content with it. 

    Friday, July 12, 2019

    The Birth of Greyson Efran

    So I had a plan to type this all out while at the hospital and then just copy and paste everything over.... that didn't happen. It's a miracle I'm sitting down to type it now, actually, but I'm determined to record it, even though my memories are somewhat failing.

    Tuesday, June 18th 2019

    • 4:00 AM: Woke up Philip and drove to the hospital to get induced... No idea why we had to be there so crazy early, OR why I had to call at 2 AM to tell them I was coming. Upon arrival we were taken to the second floor waiting area and told that they were getting my room ready. 
    • 5:00 AM: Still waiting in waiting area... what's the point of calling ahead? 
    • 5:30 AM: Finally in delivery room getting hooked up to things and answering a lot of questions. The IV needle hurts, nurse places it in the exact spot as with Emmett's delivery (I can tell because it left a mole-like mark on my hand and she said that was the best vein she could find). 
    • 6:00 AM: Baby Greyson won't stop moving around and the monitors keep going silent, it is extremely uncomfortable (almost painful) for me to sit up reclined on the bed, I haven't been able to do this comfortably for weeks. The only comfortable positions are sitting straight up cross-legged or laying on my right side completely horizontal. 
    • 7:00 AM: baby has finally stayed on for 50 minutes, I'm afraid to move and mess it up. Lots of pressure on my bladder. Penicillin makes my entire arm sting and it's impossible to sleep or rest since moving my arm around eases the sting. 
    • 8:15 AM: Oxytocin started on the lowest dose, still too painful to sit reclined so I lay on my side. No pain from contractions, but pro is that I am able to get up to use the bathroom whenever I want... and the IV fluids make me want to pee a lot. It's awkward, but manageable. 
    • 9:30 AM: My mom shows up, Oxytocin was increased because my contractions are spaced too far apart with no regular pattern. 
    • 10:00 AM: Still nothing happening (or so I think). Contractions feel uncomfortable, but not painful. It's also getting hard to breathe. 
    • 11:30 AM: Tried to get up to use the bathroom for the 3rd time and a gush of blood came out of me. I called the nurse to help me clean myself up, and instead of letting me go use the bathroom she made me get back on the bed and called my doctor. Evil. 
    • 11:40 AM: I was forced to pee in a bedpan while my doctor was on her way, so awkward. 
    • 11:50 AM: Mom asks "are your contractions hurting a lot yet?" I begin to respond "not really" and halfway thru speaking an extremely painful contraction shows up and they never leave again. 
    • 12:00 PM: Doctor comes in, checks my cervix, and I'm dilated to 5 cm. Without removing her hand she also breaks my water (gross feeling) and places an internal fetal heart monitor on baby's scalp because the belly monitor is not consistent. All of this is awful. They ask if I'm ready for an epidural yet, I think it's still too early for one but thank goodness I said yes. 
    • 12:30 PM: Anesthesiologist finally shows up, (I was second in line) and all this time I've been moaning in pain and struggling to breathe. It takes him a while to set up, and to me it feels like an eternity. It was so hard to keep still during such painful contractions. Also, I tried to break Philip's fingers off. He looked at me like he was bored and done with the whole thing. 
    • 1:00 PM: After the epidural (which hurt a lot more than the one with Emmett, I felt it shoot up all the way up my spine) I'm left waiting for the warm, soaking-in-a-bathtub feeling that I had with the previous epidural... it never comes. My entire right leg and side became numb, but the pressure on my bladder became insanely painful. 
    • 1:15 PM: Nurse half helps half forces me to turn to my left side so that the pain medication will numb my left leg too... it sort of does but a lot less than my right. My bladder is in agony. 
    • 1:35 PM: I've been telling my mom "ok I'm going to switch sides, I'm going to switch sides" but the pain is so bad that I take forever rolling over. (But hey, I did it, contractions and all.)
    • 1:45 PM: Still moaning thru some crazy pain, I'm terrified at the thought of pushing for 90 minutes at this level of pain (that's how long Emmett took). I felt like I needed to push, so my body sort of did it without my instruction. Once I announced "omg I'm pooping" Philip freaked out and ran to get my nurse. 
    • 1:50 PM: Nurse came in, removed my blankets, lifted my leg (I was on my side) and said "You're complete, girl!" and called the delivery team. I was hella confused and said "what does that mean??" and she responded with "it means baby is coming" and again I said "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?"
    • 1:55 PM: Nurse literally grabbed my leg and pulled me onto my back because I couldn't (or wouldn't) move, delivery team cleaned me up, someone forced Phil off the couch and to come help hold my left leg. (Phil looked at literally anywhere besides me, I hated him at that moment).
    • 2:00 PM: Doctor told me to push! Things happened too fast for me to process, I gave one minimal-effort, experimental push and couldn't believe her when she said "almost there, almost there..."
    • 2:01 PM: Next contraction, I actually pushed like I was supposed to and baby was out! I could not believe how quickly it all went! Two pushes vs the hundred or so with Emmett... I asked her "did that really just happen?" and she said "Yes! It's over!" and they comment on how quickly I went from 5cm to birth. 
    • 2:05 PM: (probably) placenta is delivered, Philip cuts umbilical cord, and doctor asks for a chair so she can stitch me up comfortably. She said I tore along the same line as a previous tear, but not as badly. 

    Tuesday, June 11, 2019

    The Prego Diaries #2: Week 23

    I've been wondering when the next time I sit down to blog will be. Someone recently mentioned to me how she loves crafts to keep busy, and I realized I have let go of what used to be one of my favorite hobbies in favor of useless TV watching. Must change that.
    So, dear blog, I'm very obviously pregnant again! And it's a baby boy! I always had a feeling it was another boy, but so many people said it was a girl (almost everyone I know) that I started imagining raising a daughter and it sort of stuck until the gender reveal. I feel like I have to re-arrange my brain a little, but thankfully there's tons of hand-me-downs for little brother!

    Hands down the hardest part of this has been finding a name... P and I both had long lists of girl names and a huge blank of boy names. To make it even harder, he wants his name to begin with an E, so that limits things a ton. Hopefully we will get there before his birth, poor little guy.

    Sunday, January 6, 2019

    The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow, A Mom's Review

    Half a chapter into reading this book, and I knew it would become near and dear to my heart. The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow is a Magical Realism novel about a baby born unable to speak, but with the most incredible gift of hearing. Bonaventure can hear color, dust falling off a moth's wing, the spirit of his deceased father, and the history of inanimate objects, such as the story of a pencil's graphite before being mined. As a toddler, Bonaventure tried to immitate the sounds and mouth movements of adults, but he soon gave it up in favor of listening, because silence was a much better teacher than speech. His father's spirit explained that it wouldn't be good for everyone to know just how accute Bonaventure's hearing was, so once he was old enough to learn sign language and write, he never let on that he could hear so much.

    This book is written in a descriptively beautiful language, and even though it's Bonaventure's story, I kept being reminded of my Emmett, who is definitely not silent, but has a speech delay. I'd like to share a particular paragraph that I absolutely loved: 

    Dancy Arrow had been traveling the road of her son's missing speech for quite a while, and her feelings on the matter ran in circles. Her main concern was for his safety, since without a voice he couldn't call for help. And it was a source of sadness to her that Bonaventure would never be able to sing. She also felt sorry for herself because of all theat she missed out on: no baby cooing, no cries of delight, no laugther, no questioning why, and no hearing him call her mama. She felt selfish for those feelings, and ashamed, and so forced herself to call to mind all that she did receive from Bonaventure's silence: the need to look into each other's eyes, his busy little hands, the language of his face.
    My Emmett is definitely vocal; he babbled nonstop as a baby, shrieks with joy, and has the best, most contagious giggle-laugh. He also has a speech delay, which began as mild and has grown to moderate. This means communication is very hands-on and in-your-face: lots of pointing, gestures, repetition, facial expression, and eye contact. It definitely has its challenges, but more often than not I am amazed and how much Em can communicate with less than 50 words.

    When he was just over 2 years old I bought him a water table that came with rubber ducks and frogs... the usual bathtub toys. He "helped" me build it and we set it up outside for him to play. Earlier that month we had bought 2 little frogs for his fish tank, and with his extremely limited language and dragging me back and forth and holding up the toy frog next to his eyes he let me know that the plastic frogs were the same animal as the living frogs in the fish tank even though they look nothing alike. And I was so pleased and proud that he went to great lengths to show me the meaning of the word "same". Over time he has developed his own sign for the word same: two index fingers next to each other pointing up.

    The biggest reason I love The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow is that it made me see Emmett's speech delay not as a detriment, but as a gift. I have come to find such joy in his piercing eye contact, with beautiful brown eyes that have a smile all of their own. I love his need for constant motion and the way he explores the world with his whole body. I am secretly proud of his cautious nature; the way he observes and learns and processes nonstop. I love being able to speak complex sentences and see complete understanding in his face, and a determination to be independent. I love his busy little hands using tools and performing tasks which require fine motor skills well above his age. I beam with pride when yet another speech therapist compliments his attention span and desire to learn. I love to see him move at full speed; arms outstretched and little legs pounding the pavement and a shriek of laughter exploding from his lips.
    I love my baby boy, and even though his speech delay causes hold-ups here and there, I wouldn’t change him for the world.

    Wednesday, January 31, 2018

    2017: The Year of Better Health

    Edit: pics aren’t showing up, must fix this... sometime before I die.

    I love New Year's Day because I tend to love the magic of new beginnings. I love a clean slate and the possibilities it offers, so I always have a carefully listed and numbered set of goals to achieve. This year, however, I forewent my beloved list because I had one main idea to tackle: fix your body and improve your health. This was not mesurable or goal-oriented, which kind of threw me off balance, but it has been my mantra for quite a few months. In the back of my mind I titled 2017 as "The Year Of Better Health," which has led me to check off several to-do's that I'd been putting off for ages. They are as follows:

    1. I kicked off 2017 by getting LASIK Eye Surgery along with my brother Chris. It was unplanned, spur of the moment, and made 100% possible because of Chris. [His entire life is rather "unplanned and spur-of-the-moment"] I received a text from him saying "I'm getting LASIK next week!" and well... that got the ball rolling. Our entire conversation sounded very much like "Hey, I'm getting a drink, would you like one too?" "Sure, I'll take a drink, thanks!" (You can substitute drink with the word LASIK). He also proved to be my benefactor, because, of course, eye surgery cost was more than the usual pocket-chage amount I have available on any given day. And he allowed me to pay him back without hurry or interest. What a nice guy. (For the curious, LASIK in the U.S. with good insurance: $3,000. LASIK in Mexico at a moment's notice: $1,400)

    So let me just say that the experience was TERRIFYING. The whole procedure only lasted about 20 minutes, but it was the most horrifying 20 minutes of my life. Every instict yells at you "BLINK! CLOSE YOUR EYES! MOVE AWAY!" and you have to just sit there and let a bright lazer burn off the messed-up part of you eye, and you can smell it. You can smell frying eyeball. And you lay there on purpose. It is also necessary to go blind for a couple of minutes while it's happening. *shivers*

    Wewh, so glad that's never happening again. Big risks reap high rewards sometimes, and this was certainly the case here. I have worn glasses since I was 12, and contacts since I was 15, and they've been a royal pain in the butt the entire time. Even now, almost a whole year later, I lay in bed every night and thank my lucky stars that I don't have to get up to take my contacts off. I am grateful every single day for the gift of sight, and for the advancement of science which made it possible.

    2. Fast-forward a few months to the most dreaded part of the Year Of Better Health: It was time to get my wisdom teeth pulled. Now, I know most people get these pulled before getting braces, or sometime in the teenage years, but #1, I'd never had health insurance until a couple of years after mariage and #2, I'm a huge cry baby when it comes to dental stuff. I haven't had a very good dental history (I blame the no health insurance issue) and for the past several years (as in, 5+ years) I've complained about my wisdom teeth hurting. The bottom 2 were fully impacted (see picture for reference) and were pushing against the rest of my teeth, which hurt plus screwed up anything my braces had fixed. I opted to be fully sedated, because duh, who wants to be awake while big, fat, gloved fingers are drilling away breaking stuff in there?

    I knew I'd feel absolutely nothing during the procedure (I was 100% asleep) but I was really really not looking forward to the chipmunk-cheecks swelling I'd have the next day. I have fat cheecks because, well, I have fat everything, and I didn't want to imagine how much fatter they'd look after the surgery. Way to go, Mr. Oral Surgeon, because I had very little swelling, and thanks to the generous supply of hydrocodone, very little pain as well. Even now I still doubt he removed the two top ones because I had almost no bleeding (I pulled out unstained, saliva-soaked bandages) and absolutely no pain or swelling up there. The bottom two are a different story. Bye bye blood clots, because I got dry socket on those. I had these huge holes big enough to fit my pinky in, and Chris swears he could see my jawbone. They took forever to heal, and during those weeks either my mom or Chris had to syringe-pressure-wash them out after every meal (yeah, it was gross, now I will never doubt their love). Bless their hearts. Thanks guys.

    I really have had zero dental issues since then. I've opted to get my teeth cleaned every 4 months instead of the recommended 6 (idk, I guess I'm trying to make up for all those times I skipped the dentist in the past?) and well... nothing to report. Finally no pain. Brush and floss guys.

    3. Do you know what the "W" position of sitting on the ground is? See picture for reference, thats my adorable son who sits just like me. Last "big thing" to take care of during the Year of Better Health was this weird noise halfway between clicking and popping that my right knee made every time I extended it. It wasn't painful, just odd, like that noise shouldn't be there. It had been there, doing its thing for several years, and I would have probably just left it alone for the rest of my life, until one day it just became painful, and the next day more painful, and the next and the next until I couldn't walk right and my entire leg would swell up, mostly above the knee. I had a stash of leftover hydrocodone from getting my teeth pulled, and I popped those suckers like candy because the pain was so bad. Philip even had to come home from Louisiana during the middle of one week to take care of me. I finally dragged myself to an orthopedic surgeon, who sent me to get an MRI, and... turns out my meniscus was torn.

    I always thought the pain was worse at night because I'd been walking/running/crawling/climbing around after my toddler all day, but I learned that easy movement was better for it. So when I lay still trying to sleep at night, it would swell and the pain increase.

    Guess what the fix was? A steroid shot. In my knee. I used to be a big crybaby about needles, and then during pregnancy I got poked so often it just dissipated into nothing, but I swear, I would have run out of that ortho's office had my leg been in a functioning condition. I was scared but trying to play it cool, plus I'd left my brother behind with a napping Emmett in the car, so I didn't want to make them wait too long. That shot was the easiest thing ever! And seconds after it was over lady ortho made me hop off the exam table. Hop off onto both feet! It worked that quickly! It was slightly painful, like it hadn't taken full effect yet, but I marched right out of that office and have been walking fine ever since. It was an awkward walk, I'd been limping for almost a month and it's like I forgot how to walk properly.

    And so that concludes any imporant-ish health issues I fixed in 2017. There's more things I need to address, mainly headache-related, but I've decided to call it a met resolution.

    Cheers all!